The Indian Police Services (IPS) are one of the three all-India services of the government of India and also a part of civil services examination CSE, conducting each year by the UNION PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION. The IPS was formed in the year 1948. As we all think Indian police service is not a security force but also they providing as a commander to take higher-level posts in the state police machinery and the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF).
Table Of Contents
- 1 RECRUITING PROCESS:
- 2 The IPS exam (UPSC CSE 2020) will be held in three stages:
- 3 The same dates will be appropriate for next year also 2021.
- 4 ELIGIBILITY:
- 5 Responsibility of IPS:
- 6 The different work area of an IPS officer
- 7 Branches in IPS:
- 8 Salary of IPS:
- 9 No of attempts in each category:
There are three modes of the recruitment process:
1. Through civil services examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission.
2.through the appointment of State Police Service officers by promotion.
We had another way of recruiting IPS officers which were through limited competitive examination LCE (conducted rarely). However, this method of recruitment was scrapped out, By the Supreme Court of India on 2018
Through this same exam the government also recruits officers for the following services.
1.Indian administrative service
2.Indian Revenue Service
3.Indian Audit and accounts service Etc.
The IPS exam (UPSC CSE 2020) will be held in three stages:
Civil Services (Preliminary) Exam – May 31, 2020
Civil Services (Main) Exam – September 18, 2020.
UPSC Personality Test – To be notified
The same dates will be appropriate for next year also 2021.
|Organizing body||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam type||Pen and paper type(offline)|
|Number of services||24|
|Number of attempts||6 attempts|
|Number of vacancies||Approximately 800|
|Number of recruitment per year||150|
|Expected registration||Approximately 8 lakh|
The IPS eligibility conditions and qualification criteria are:
The aspirant must be an Indian citizen
The Minimum age limit for the aspirant must be 21 years and the Maximum age varies depending on category and benchmark physical disability
The aspirant must pursue at least one University degree (Graduate) from a recognized University
The physical criteria for the IPS officer is as follows:
Minimum Height –
Women – 150cm
Excusable minimum height for candidates belonging to ST and people of Gorkhas, Garhwalias, Assamese, Kumaonis, Nagaland Tribals, etc,is 160cm for men and 145cm for women. The Minimum Chest Girth should be 84 cm for men and 79 cm for women. Myopia (including cylinder) should not exceed minus 4.00D and Hyper myopia (including cylinder) should not exceed plus 4.00D.
The presence of Squint will be in result or disqualification. Spectacles are permitted but it should be in the range of as follows,
- Distant vision for the better eye(Corrected Vision) should be in the range of 6/6 or 6/9.
- Distant vision for the worse eye(Uncorrected Vision) should be in the range of 6/12 or 6/9.
- Near vision should be J1 and J2 respectively, High-grade color vision is required and Binocular vision is needed
Restriction on Applying – Note: Officers already appointed to the IAS or IFS aren’t eligible
Responsibility of IPS:
An IPS (Indian Police Service) officer should be responsible in the following areas/sectors:-
- Maintaining peace among people and order
- Crime prevention
- The investigation, detection, and collection of intelligence
- IPS Officer will serve for the state as well as for the country, Their Ultimate aim is to maintain peace among public
- The IPS officers give more priority to law and order at the district level. The collective responsibility of IPS and IAS officers were; detecting and preventing crime, traffic control, preventing drug, accident prevention, and management, etc.
- Each service has a basic / Ie is to lead by them, i.e. they will be the responsibility for that field. Like that, for IPS it includes Indian Intelligence Agencies like Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW), Intelligence Bureau (IB), Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and so on. It also includes the Indian Federal Law Enforcement Agencies, Civil and Armed Police Forces in all the states and also in union territories
- VIP security
- Railway policing
- Anti-smuggling and drug trafficking
- Tackling Economic Offences
- Corruption in public life
- Disaster management
- Biodiversity and protection of environmental laws etc.
- Enforcement of socio-economic legislation.
- High-level posts in the Indian Intelligence Agencies
- Serve as HoD’s in policy-making
- In the Ministries and Departments of Central and State Governments
- Public sector undertakings (PSUs) both at the center and states,
- Further, they should also Interact and coordinate closely with Other All India Services as they have the rights to do it.
- Leading and commanding the Indian Federal Law Enforcement Agencies
- Civil and Armed Police Forces in all the union territories and states
- CAPF – Central Armed Police Forces
- CPO – Central Police Organisations
- CPF – Central Paramilitary Forces
The different work area of an IPS officer
5. And different Central Law Enforcement Agencies
Branches in IPS:
The IPS service is further divided into various functional departments as follows; Crime Branch, Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Home Guards, Traffic Bureau.
Salary of IPS:
The starting basic salary of IPS starts from 56,100.00INR and it various as their destination is given below.
Designation post of IPS in State Police/Central and their Salary of the respective post
Director-General of Police-2,25,000.00 INR
Additional Director General of Police- 2,05,400.00 INR
Inspector-General of Police -1,44,200.00 INR
Deputy Inspector General of Police- 1,31,100.00 INR
Senior Superintendent of Police -78,800.00 INR
Additional Superintendent of Police -67,700.00 INR
Deputy Superintendent of Police -56,100.00 INR
No of attempts in each category:
There will be 6 attempts for general category, 9 attempts for other backward classes, also for physically handicapped and no Specified attempts for SC/ST.