IRS- INDIAN REVENUE SERVICE:
- The Indian Revenue Service (IRS) is the largest Group A Central Service.
- It is considered as the most important service among all group A services since it is focused on the collection of Indian revenue.
- The IRS plays a crucial role particularly in the formation of the direct taxes laws through the Income Tax Department.
- It is the largest Government departments in India with about 75,000 employees nearly 550 locations in all over India.
- Every district of the country has an Income Tax office.
In this we look into the Roles and Responsibilities, Training period, Grade and it’s pay scale, Career prospects in detail.
Indian Revenue Service (IRS) – Roles & Responsibilities.
- To formulate the policy and changing the indirect taxes are conducted, through the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- The main role of them in the file, is to collect the taxes.
- An important function of an IRS Officer is to ensure that people escaping from the payment of taxes are founded and brought completely the collection of revenue in regular.
- IRS officers – tax administrators also play the part of investigators and prosecutors for the Indian Government.
- One more important mandatory work of an IRS officer is to control the black money in all over India.
- They also undergo negotiation in international agreements with other tax jurisdictions as well.
- The initial stage of training, after getting into service as IRS officers are mainly trained at the National Academy of Direct Taxes (NADT) at Nagpur.
- There, they will be undergoing a foundation Course for four months post.
- The IRS officers get extensive training for sixteen months in specialised sections on taxation and allied laws, accounting, public finances, fiscal policy, office procedures and so on.
- During the training, they can also be sent to various field offices and organisations in all over India.
- In order to get global exposure in the best taxation practices worldwide, they are sent to abroad.
Grade and it’s pay scale:
|Designation Under Income Tax||Pay scale|
|Principal Chief Commissioner||80,000 (fixed)|
|Chief Commissioner||75,500 – 80,000|
|Principal Commissioner||67,000 – 79,000|
|Commissioner||37,400 – 67,000 + grade pay of 10,000|
|Additional Commissioner||37,400 – 67,000 + grade pay of 8700|
|Joint Commissioner||15,600 – 39,100 + grade pay of 7600|
|Deputy Commissioner||15,600 – 39,100 + grade pay of 6600|
|Assistant Commissioner||15,600 – 39,100 + grade pay of 5400|
- Since the IRS cadre officers are well trained in the entire matters of taxation, they are recruited in various areas like
- CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation)
- R&AW (Research & Analysis Wing)
- IB (Intelligence Bureau).
- IRS officers can get chance to serve as chairperson in Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- They can get an opportunity for overseas posting.
- They may also get chance to serve as Income Tax Ombudsman.
- IRS Officers get the chance to serve in Ministries.